Create standalone web tools with Dart: Stakes and Opportunities around Questions and Responses.



This series from Connectikpeople aims to help you to develop power web tool with Dart language via the responses from experts.

Now we focus on the question from Miguel and the response of John:

Miguel:
As engineer, I usually create small programs/scripts to do some calculations: average values of time series, data analysis, structure calculations, ... When there is no Graphical Interface, I use Perl and Python. But when I need a GUI, I use Excel+VBA, since it's very easy to cope with cells.

However, if the GUI program grows, Excel cells are a true mesh. So I'm looking for a language/framework/environment to:
- create Business logic in an easy way (Python and Perl are easy to use)
- create (with the same language) Graphical Interfaces in an easy way

Since I consider that the web interfaces are the most intuitive ones and I'm very familiar with HTML forms, I wondered if Dart is the right language to create standalone web tools (I'd only need a web browser) without server-side programming (all the code interpreted by the web browser). Does Dart integrate/support any kind of tiny database to store small amounts of data? Are there libraries to manage web templates?

Thank you very much in advance and best regards.

John responds:

I think Dart would be a great choice for you.   Dart lets you start small and then scales up with you as your app grows.



Using HTML5 APIs, it's easy to create persistent client-side storage.  (see html5rocks.com for more info on this).  The dart:html library supports these APIs.



There are several template systems under development, including Dart's own Web Components library.  Other community efforts include Buckshot, Mustache, Rikulo, and others.



Check out this link for a comprehensive list of community libraries that you may find helpful.

Also stackoverflow is a great resource to get questions answered.

Comments

Popular Posts