Tips and insights for job seekers interested in high-tech careers
- “Start by just getting involved, and explore your options. There are so many events new coders can attend to learn and meet others already in the industry. If you’re looking to get involved, start going to local meet-ups, there are typically ones for specific programming languages, and many will have beginner tracks.”
- “Use your natural curiosity. If you find that you’re always asking “why?” and absolutely must have that answer, and if you’re a creative, innovative personality, I’d say a Cybersecurity Architect role could be satisfying for you.”
- “Break out of your comfort zone: Pick up the phone and send those emails. If you’re looking to break into cybersecurity, reach out to your local community college or call a university to see what type of programs they offer."
- “Build a network of like-minded people, whether it is a digital community or an in-person one. Establishing your network and growing your connections is vital to becoming a new collar worker.”
- “Get to know your specialty, and get comfortable talking about yourself. Tailor your portfolio to showcase your specialty. If you’re looking for a job in user experience design, you should be showing UX Design work. Make sure the problems you are looking to solve are clearly identified and show the process of iteration in your designs to help solve those problems.”